Welcome

Welcome to Cape Cod Fire!

This is a place for us to share information, have a dialog, learn, or seek answers. Possibly more!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Your Average Visit?

Good Morning!
Thanks again to those who have made comments and joined in on this new Blog. Hopefully the word will spread and more will take advantage of this space to share information, ask questions, and conduct a dialog on various topics that we all might find interesting and informative.

My question for you today is how you use the CapeCodFD.com site. I know there are certain sections / pages that I refer to often myself and others I almost never do. I am curious how some of you, particularly those who are 'frequent fliers' use the site. If there is a way of describing your average visit... the pages you check first... where you like to go and what you look for during a typical visit... I would be interested in knowing. About 500 visitors check the site daily and I am curious how many get 'deep' into the site and how many just check the 'what's new' stuff.

- How many go through each of the 9 'news / home pages' ?
- How many use the reference, ie: Apparatus, Stations, Departments, Rosters, Run Cards, Special Features sections?
- How many look at the lower section including Animations, Links, Listening Live, News, Patches, etc... ?

How about: What are your favorites? Favorite pages, favorite features, favorite links....

Another aspect of the site that concerns me is how it fits on your computer screen and functions when you use it. I would like to make the width narrower so that it fits nicely on everyone's screen. I used to make all my pictures 600 dpi wide so they would fit (that is the size all of the smaller photos are), but found after using my digital photos that they looked 'digitized' and fuzzy at the dpi, so I started doing the larger 800 dpi format for photos that definitely improves photo quality, but widens the site.... grrrr.... What are your thought on this? Any suggestions on how to overcome?

I appreciate hearing from you and look forward to your comments. Have a great day and stay safe!

6 comments:

Firewarden1 said...

My average vist to the site depends on what I am looking for. Am I doing a powerpoint on Brush fires on the Cape and need some info. Am I doing a preplan and need to know what each town has. Has a town called a Working Fire and I want to see the running card to know whos going and whos on deck. My favorite thing is to tell others about the site and to see what my Dept has for equipment and for others to get an overview of the Cape and Islands fire service. Plus it's alway's fun to see whats new. Thanks for a great site.

Unknown said...

usually I personally just look at the front page to see if there is an update I havent looked at. Once I see an update, generally I look at the entire contents of the update. As for my most visted pages, I would say the guest photos, apparatus pages, department news, and station information would have to be the goto places most often. I also cannot forget the special features. EVERY time one of those goes up I have to look through it entirely.

Anonymous said...

I generally check out what is new on the front page and then proceed to the dept headlines, apparatus updates, personnel highlights, I also use it in a reference to keep my father updated with what is new back home

Unknown said...

hello from Maine, i have visited this site many times. its very imformative. great photos, etc. i was born on the South Shore, and have relatives there and on the Cape. so there is where my interest lies. and we get visitors here in Waterboro ,Maine to the fire station that are from down that way. we used to get Skips on the radio from Harwich Fire. but we don't anymore since we updated the towers here. so if anyone is coming to maine, stop into the central station in Waterboro. and say hi, we always like showing off our rigs, if you know us and haven't been around in a while, we have alot of apparatus news, we upgraded alot and last year the town funded a new rescue pumper, a new pumper tanker, and used late model 100' ladder, and new Scott 4.5, plus the sub station engines are under 10 years old, so we are doing okay, so be safe and take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey Britt,
I usually try to check the site once a week to see what is going on. I am currently in Iraq and don't have too much time to waste so I usually look at the home page to see what is going on. I like the pictures of any structure fires that have happened around the cape. Keep up the good work.
John Richardson
LT WBFD
FOB Rustamiyah (until 1/09)

RangerJake72 said...

My usual visit to the site is checking out the main page to see any updates, then I'll check out them, I've shown off some of the brush breaker pages to the guys at work, it's a completely different way of fighting wildland fires from how we do it here in Florida